#6 Viral Videos Objectify You Too
I’m Maseh Hadaf, and this is DeepTox. Thank you for being here with me.
- MAGA-teens viral video
- Longer counter-video
- Tribalism, assumptions, the self, and hatred on all sides
Honey from the Cupper's Glass
- Long quote, cupper’s glass was used by ancient doctors to draw blood from patients
“The lowest level attained by an intelligent man is to be so different from the
gullible man in the street that he feels no aversion to honey, even though he finds it in a cupper’s glass, but realizes that the cupping glass does not alter the nature of the
For the natural distaste for such honey is based on a popular misconception
arising from the fact that the cupping glass is made for blood deemed impure.
Consequently the man in the street supposes the blood is deemed impure because it is
in the cupping glass and does not realize that it is deemed impure because of a
property found in the blood itself. Hence, since this property does not exist in the
honey, its being found in such a vessel does not impart to it that property nor does it
necessitate its being deemed impure. This is an empty fancy, yet it is prevalent among
most men. Thus, whenever you trace back a statement and attribute it to a speaker of
whom they have a good opinion, they accept it, even though it be false; but whenever
you attribute it to someone of whom they have a bad opinion, they reject it, even
though it be true. Thus they always know the truth by men, not men by the truth”
-Al-Ghazali, Deliverance from Error
- Why is this obscure quote relevant and what does it mean?
- Connection to the scene with teenage boys wearing MAGA hats and the Indigenous Elder
- What are the different interpretations and how ‘tribalism’ plays a role in determining that?
- What is the truth?
Vaccinating Against Viral Videos
- Problematization as an antidote for viral videos
- Instead of determining a quick answer for what the truth is, problematize the situation
- Questioning the context, what isn’t being shown, intentions behind what’s being shown, your self
- Objectification of popularized human beings. Reducing them to static objects, rejecting their potential, complexity, or context.
- Reactivity to media, sensationalized issues, without making the effort to deeply understand what’s going on
- Inner Activism, what lies at the heart of your activism?
“Declare your jihad on thirteen enemies you cannot see – Egoism, Arrogance, Conceit, Selfishness, Greed, Lust, Intolerance, Anger, Lying, Cheating, Gossiping and Slandering. If you can master and destroy them, then you will be ready to fight the enemy you can see.” ~ Al-Ghazali