#7 Mind the (Generational) Gap
I’m Maseh Hadaf, and this is DeepTox. Thank you for being here with me.
- Generational gap. Survival vs Self-actualization.
- Shame and guilt in decision-making. Career paths, partners, religion/sexuality
My Father's Wisdom
“What the %($* are you talking about? YOU are my purpose!”
- Generational gap. Survival vs Self-actualization
- Shame and guilt in decision-making
- Career paths that are risky, that call to me. Taking time to learn on my own. Taking a year off, not working/getting a masters right away.
- Partner, traditional lines, fear
- Sexuality and religion
- Mental health
- Western individualism, eastern collectivism. Not so black and white. Neither one is ultimately better or worse
Making Art and Finding Balance
- No cool tips. At the same time, we are aware of how trapped we are, and we have no means to escape it.
- Creating art that reflects the pain, guilt, shame, resilience, brilliance of the generational gap while you’re living through it.
- David Chariandy’s book Brother, about a young Trinidadian-Canadian boy
- I feel like a preacher: Forgiving our parents, ourselves, and each other more.
- Balancing the push of survival and pull for self-actualization
“Life is an ongoing process of choosing between safety (out of fear and need for defense) and risk (for the sake of progress and growth). Make the growth choice a dozen times a day.” Abraham Maslow